Tuesday, January 12, 2010

This summer trip ideas Go Summer 2010!

As a teacher, when of the most important things for me is summertime, it gives you time to think about the past year, what worked, what didn’t work and it gives you the ability to think about for the next year. I like using my breaks as opportunity’s to go and travel and see the historical places and events that I to talk about in class.

I think it is very important also to get to experience an interesting adventure and go somewhere new for the holiday. This summer (2010) I will be finished with grad school by the end of June and so between June 25 or so and August 15th I am going to on some time of adventure.

I like to put a lot of options on the table, with the hope that at least one might work out.

Alaska:
One idea is to ride my motorcycle to Alaska taking the scenic route. But to do this, I would have to have a good riding partner who I would get along with and would have the same goals and timeline that I do for making the trip a reality. I constantly want to make my own Long Way Round after seeing the cheap price of HD Helmet cameras and HD portable cameras. But then I would need to have a cameraman, be photogenic and be a famous actor. So I don’t foresee the movie thing really happening. But the trip, YES!

My idea would be to ride up to Alaska and heading all the way to Prudhoe Bay in one of the most northern places in the United States. Then to ride back down to Anchorage and take a boat to Seattle. I have seen one, where I could camp on the deck. Then ride back to the East Coast. But I am always open to other ideas.

This trip would be at least 10,000 miles, which is a lot of saddle time! Honestly I am unsure if my bike would be able to make the complete trip. But I guess part of the adventure is that element of the unknown. This trip is one of many goals that I have and I want to complete within my lifetime.

One of my other goals is to ride my motorcycle all the way to Tierra Del Fuego at the most southern tip of South America. From Advrider.com reports it is apparent that it is necessary to bypass Columbia due to the threats of FARC, especially in the rural areas.

I talked to my friend Bettina, about the possibility of traveling to Eastern Europe and that is definitely something that interests me. I want to see is much the world so I can bring it back to my classroom and allow those experiences to help enrich my classroom and my teaching.

California
As a motoring enthusiast, I’ve also talked about going this summer to the Monterey Historic Races and the Pebble Beach Concours d’elegance in California. I’ve heard that this is the premier car show in the United States.

I would also like to be able to go and do a lap around the Nürburgring. It would be especially incredible if I was to take the Nürburgring taxi was Sabine Schmitz as the driver. Though I am unsure of that possibility based on her and fame.

I’ve been watching the Dakar rally this year and everything I see about Argentina in Chile amazes me. At some point in my life I would like to be able to go and travel with the Dakar rally just being able to go to the biviouac each night.

Another goal of mine is to enter the Baja 1000 rally from Ensenada to the tip of Baja California. I would a specially like to be able to run it in a Volkswagen Baja Beetle.

Also to drive the complete length of the Pacific Coast Highway.

Another thing I would love to do is to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.

Ok, well that is a lot of goals and interests.

Anyone interested in taking part in some of these goals or have any ideas?
I am all ears!

No comments: